[Samba] Re: I've always HATED printing with Samba

Joel Hammer Joel at hammershome.com
Mon Jul 28 00:42:56 GMT 2003

On Sun, Jul 27, 2003 at 01:11:33PM -0700, Jim C wrote:

> The Lexmark software on the client side insists on communicating with
> the printer.
> Apparently, if it can't, it assumes there is no printer or no network
> etc.  According to my research the way around this is to use the Lexmark
> Z52 driver, which is supposedly 100% compatible, OR to disable
> bidrectional printing features from the client OR to go with straight
> postscript.
>
> None of these has worked for me.  There is something I am missing but I
> have no idea what it is.   Probably something totally transparent to a
> guru and completely opaque to a newbie.

I distinctly recall this problem with the z53 software on windows printing
to a samba server.

There is an option in the z53 windows software (windows 98, can't comment
on XP. I always used the postscript trick for them.) to turn off two
way communication with the printer.  Have you found this option?

Joel