[Samba] Unofficial Samba+ACL HOWTO

Paul Eggleton paule at cjntech.co.nz
Wed Jul 23 21:04:00 GMT 2003

Buchan Milne wrote on Thursday, 24 July 2003 4:10 a.m.:
> You may want to change the title to be "Unofficial Redhat Samba + ACL
> + Winbind Howto", since most other distros have ACL support out the
> box (Mandrake since 8.1 has had ACL support on XFS, 9.0 had ACL
> support on ext2/3 also, most recent SuSE releases had ACL support on
> XFS, some on ext2/3, I believe one of the Debain kernels has XFS/ACL
> support), and Mandrake 9.0 and 9.1 will setup winbind for you during
> installation.

I do realise my howto is very Red Hat specific, however there are plenty
of other distributions that don't have ACL support out of the box
(Slackware, Gentoo, others?). Besides, merely having ACLs enabled in the
file system is not enough - you have to understand the limitations of
POSIX ACLs as well as how Samba's ACL support works, which is the other
main point of the howto.

Cheers,
Paul