[Samba] Printing multiple copies

Joel Hammer Joel at HammersHome.com
Tue Jul 22 10:05:28 GMT 2003

Well, I just tried an experiment.

With XP Home, printing to a postscript printer on my linux box, the job is
sent as multiple, sequential  postscript files, each file being just one
copy. Ergo, samba thinks it has received multiple different print jobs,
not one job consisting of multiple copies. This is different from what I
found before, suggesting that new print drivers on the windows box (XP)
handle multiple copies differently.

I get multiple copies printed out with XP Home sent to my linux server. No
problem. Do you see your windows client actually sending multiple copies
when you print?

What is the printing system you are using?

If not cups, you might modify your printing command in smb.conf to gather
some information. Here is what I have with my lprng print command.

[ps]
	comment = Filtered for Z53
	path = /tmp
	read only = No
	create mask = 0700
	guest ok = yes
	hosts allow = 192.168.
	printable = Yes
	printing = lprng
 	print command = echo %J %p %s  >>  /tmp/junkJ;\
                       a="`echo '%J' | sed "s/^.*- //"`" ;\
	               echo This is truncated $a >> /tmp/junkJ;\
                       /usr/bin/lpr -Pps  -J"$a"  %s;\
                        rm %s
	lpq command = /usr/bin/lpq -Pps
	lprm command = /usr/bin/lprm -Pps %j
	lppause command = /usr/sbin/lpc hold ps %j
	lpresume command = /usr/sbin/lpc release ps %j
	share modes = No
        use client driver = yes

That long print command captures the smb job name (%s) so I can see
what really is going on (whether one or multiple jobs get sent). And,
it captures the file name sent from windows (%J). The file name is
truncated to remove a Microsoft prefix sent with each filename.

If you have cups, I can't offer anymore advice. With cups you can't ( I
think) change the print commands in smb.conf. Although, there must be a way
to change the print commands in cups elsewhere.

Joel