[Samba] silent file truncation on ext3 with linux quota v0

Johannes Niess j.niess at uni-bonn.de
Mon Jul 21 13:11:03 GMT 2003

that has been posted to comp.protocols.smb as well.

Hi,

I'm trying to implement file system quotas on a Debian Woody Linux
box. My problem is that W2k Explorer silently truncates files when
going over quota by copying files. Other applications work as
expected and show a "disk full" error message.

To me it looks like the error code for "over quota" is not propagated
back from samba to Windows Explorer.

I've tried with all combinations of Linux kernel 2.4.18, latest
2.4-ac, samba-2.2.3a-12 (from woody) and a debian source package
2.2.8a reconfigured --with-quota. I've not yet used a newer quota
package.

I've found some descriptions of the problem, but no workaround. I
understand that samba supports only v2 version quotas (from the -ac
kernel series and maybe latest 2.4-marcelo's-pre). I'm not asking for
support of network drives size set to quotas. A "dfree command" can
easily do that.

BTW: What's the status of quota support in Samba 3? What I really want
are quotas per samba share, independend of the OS.

Thank you very much.

Johannes Nieß