[Samba] Profile storage on a samba server?

Jan Johansson jan.johansson at nwl.se
Mon Jul 21 13:01:27 GMT 2003

I am running Samba version 2.2.3a-14 for Debian and I want to use this
server to store some users profiles.

The relevant bits of the config is

# Global parameters
[global]
        workgroup = NWL_SCAND
        netbios name = NDC5-ROUTER-1
        server string = %h server (Samba %v)
        security = DOMAIN
        encrypt passwords = Yes
        obey pam restrictions = Yes
        password server = ndc2-w2k-1
        passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
        passwd chat = *Enter\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n
*Retype\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n .
        syslog = 0
        log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
        max log size = 1000
        dns proxy = No
        wins server = 192.168.221.200
        invalid users = root

[Profiles]
        comment = Profile directory NDC5
        path = /mnt/hda5/Profiles
        read only = No

Now, the server is a member of the domain, and I have created a user
(test2) with the profile path set to \\ndc5-router-1\Profiles\test2

But when I log on I get a dialog saying that the central profile could
not be used since the specified network password is not correct.

I do see traffic between the DC and the samba server during logon, but I
am at a loss to what might be the problem here?