[Samba] Help wanted...

G. Douglas Burton (RH 8.0) slugg0 at adelphia.net
Mon Jul 21 02:39:53 GMT 2003

Long story short, I have a small LAN, a Red Hat 8.0 fileserver, a Win95
fileserver and 2 workstations, one Win98SE and the other is Red Hat 8.0.
Using Samba as the common file system thread, I can access and play an MP3
file from the Win95 server using the RH workstation and it works fine.  I can
access and play an MP3 from Linux or Win95 server using the Windows
workstation and that works fine.  But trying to access and play an MP3 from
the Linux server using the Linux workstation produces a very choppy sound.
It will play for a second and then pause for several seconds and repeat.  Now
I can access and play the file from the Windows workstaion via Network
Neighborhood pointed at the RH workstation where the RH server is mounted and
that even plays fine!  It just won't work if I go straight from the Linux
workstation to the Linux server.  A very weird problem and I've looked and
looked for a solution but nothing has come up. I've played with the Samba
settings in the smb.conf file dealing with the socket buffer, etc. but it
doesn't really make any difference.  I tried the Red Hat list but that was no
help. If anyone has a suggestion it would be greatly appreciated.  I don't
really think this is a Samba problem but I don't know where else to turn...

Just a message from Doug...