[Samba] Connecting to Windows 2000 Server with smbclient

Schroeder Werner ICM Bocholt werner.schroeder at siemens.com
Fri Jul 18 16:56:35 GMT 2003

Hi,

from a Linux box I try to connect to a Windows 2000 share using

      smbclient "\\\\server\\service" -I <ip-address> -A <credentials>

(with username, passwd and domain set in file <credentials>).
The attempt ends with the error message

      session setup failed: NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE

The same error occurs also with all variants to supply username and
passwd in upper and lower case versions from the command line or
entering the passwd at the prompt from smbclient which I tried.

Of course I do have an account and access permissions on the
server. This works from an NT4 box.

With debug option  smbclient -d A   it can be seen that a session request is
sent,
a subsequent   smb_com=0x72 ("negotiate protocol") block is received twice
(smb_flg=136) with a 38 byte data sequence. The next and final piece of
debug output is a
Session Set Up (smb_com=0x73) response (also repeated twice) with
           smb_rcls= 109
           smb_err=49152
           smb_flg2=49153
ending up in the above NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE error message.

I am aware that a similar problem decription was posted recently under a
similar
heading, but I could not find a solution.

By the way:  my smbclient is version 2.2.3a on a Linux 2.4.18
                   OS= Windows 5.0
                   there is no smbd running, I think it is not required for
the client, is it ?
                   smb.conf contains "encrypt passwords = Yes"

I'd much appreciate any hint, how to solve the problem.
Thanks

Werner Schroeder