[Samba] authenticate from /etc/passwd

Steve Waltner swaltner at lsil.com
Thu Jul 17 19:34:42 GMT 2003

For easy reference, the registry changes are as follows. Just put the
listed information into the filenames listed and open the file on each
client system allowing RegEdit to make the registry changes. You will
need to reboot to pickup the changes. After doing this, you will be
able to authenticate from the UNIX password information. The Windows
system will always prompt for the password for the share even if your
password matches because the password is being sent in cleartext across
the wire.

windows95.reg
========================
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD\VNETSUP]

"EnablePlainTextPassword"=dword:00000001
========================

windowsnt.reg
========================
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Rdr\Parameters]

"EnablePlainTextPassword"=dword:00000001

windows2k.reg (also XP and 2003)
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\lanmanworkstation\
parameters]

"EnablePlainTextPassword"=dword:00000001

Steve

On Thursday, July 17, 2003, at 05:32 AM, kenneth.westelinck at tiscali.be