[Samba] Replace NT4 PDC

'Phil Moors' pmoors at rcigroup.com
Wed Jul 16 18:23:16 GMT 2003

* Collins, Kevin <KCollins at nesbittengineering.com> [030716 13:26]:
> > I have an NT4 PDC that I would like to replace with a Samba server. My
> > network also has a box running MS Exchange and Backoffice
> > (not the same box as the PDC).
> >
> > What's the general roadmap for doing this?
>
> Phil:
>
> Funny you should ask.... :-)  I'm two-thirds of the way down this path as I
> write this.
>
> What I did was create a new domain and do a cut-over.  I've a get a
> semi-complete blog of the server build-up process here:
> http://web.qx.net/kcollins

Cool. My setup is a little simpler. I also have three offices: NY, DC
and Baltimore connected with frame relay. Please allow me the following
disclaimer: "I inherited this network configuration from the previous
systems guys!"

I have one domain, the PDC is in DC and the BDC's are in Baltimore. NY
logs in over the WAN <snort>. Yes, it takes a while. Since the PDC is in
DC and the overall configuration is kablooey anyway. I'd like to remove
the PDC in DC and install a Samba PDC in Baltimore. Yes, that's not
good. But I feel I have to break things a bit to get the network into
good shape. I'll eventually drop separate Samba PDCs/domains into DC and
NY but there are a lot of other things that have to be changed before I
do this. Try not to laugh, but print jobs spool to Baltimore and then
back to whatever city the printer is in. The good news is that we are a
small shop. Not many workstations per site.

I do not have a spare box for running another copy of Exchange. What is
this scary method of Exchange cutover?

Phil