[Samba] Having problems connecting xp machine to samba

Vizitiu, Ciprian CVizitiu at gbif.org
Mon Jul 14 16:36:07 GMT 2003

> 1.	There IS another domain controller on the network,
> however, it is
> not a SAMBA pdc. I've seen instructions that say there should
> not be another pdc on the network, but I'm assuming that
> means a samba pdc. I don't know if that makes a difference.

It makes all the difference in the world. There should be ONLY one PDC.
Period. Be it NT, 2000, XP or samba. So make up your mind either samba or
the other box.

If you allready have a PDC maybe you're looking to security=domain in your
smb.conf file. In that moment your samba box will ask the PDC "is john with
this password the person who pretends he is?" This is authentication. Then
somehow you must tell samba that user john should access only /someshare.
This is authorisation. All the above happen only if you've joined samba to
the domain controlled by the PDC. You need an user account in that domain
that is allowed to add machines to domain and do a smbpassd -j