[Samba] getpeername failed

Paul Eggleton paule at cjntech.co.nz
Thu Jul 10 21:59:02 GMT 2003

Hi,

I'm using Samba 3.0beta2, and I am getting the following errors in
log.smbd every time a machine connects:

[2003/07/10 15:09:22, 0] lib/util_sock.c:get_socket_addr(895)
  getpeername failed. Error was Transport endpoint is not connected

At the same time I get a log.0.0.0.0 file, as well as a log.machinename
and log.ip.addr.of.machine file. I did some searching and found some
reports saying that this was a DNS reverse lookup problem. However, I
have checked and nslookup machinename works, as does nslookup
ip.addr.of.machine (although it returns "machinename.domainname."
because that's what the W2K DNS server has defined automatically). WINS
is not running on our network. The two machines in question (the server
and the client machine connecting to it) are on the same domain and the
same subnet - the client is running Windows 2000 Server and the Samba
server is running on a fairly clean install of Red Hat Linux 9.0. There
is no firewalling between the two machines. Samba 3.0beta2 was compiled
from source.

This problem does not appear to be adversely affecting Samba's
operation, but it would be nice to figure out why it is occurring.

Cheers,
Paul

Paul Eggleton                  Ph:    +64-9-4154790
Software Developer             Fax:   +64-9-4154791
CJN Technologies Ltd.          DDI:   +64-9-4154795
http://www.cjntech.co.nz       Email: paule at cjntech.co.nz