[Samba] Problems accessing dirs using Konqueror...

Jonathan Villa jvilla at isdesigndev.com
Thu Jul 10 14:20:59 GMT 2003

My company's network is entirely Microsoft.  They just decided to start
looking into what Open Source has to offer (I'm the only "Open Source
person" here) so there are a lot of questions.

Anyway....

We installed Samba on a Red Hat 8.0 system.  Samba was installed via the
default RPM installation.  This is the current smb.conf file (I created
my own instead of using the default)

***************************************
[global]
        workgroup = OURDOMAINSNAME
        netbios name = opensource
        server string = Samba running %v
        security = domain
        encrypt passwords = yes
        password server = SERVERWITHPASSWORDSONIT

[homes]
        comment = Home Directories
        browseable = no
        writeable = yes
[Share]
        comment = Shared Dir
        writeable = yes
        guest ok = yes
        path = /home/share

***************************************

The way it works right now, anyone on the company's domain can access
this server, and once they get to it (after authenticating) they can
access their directory, if they exist on the server.  For example,

there are 3 users

jvilla - account on Linux box and company domain
mbaker - account on Linux box and company domain
jcolgan - account on Linux box and company domain

we can all access accounts just fine.

My question concerns the ability to access dirs on samba server.

If I try to access it via a terminal, everything is fine...

smbclient //192.168.0.51/jvilla -U OURDOMAINNAME/jvilla

This works great...

as well as accessing the share dir.

Now, if I use Konqueror, I type

smb://192.168.0.51/jvilla

and when prompted I type

username: OURDOMAINNAME/jvilla
password: password

and it seems as if I "got in" because I am no longer prompted for a
username and password, however, if I don't use OURDOMAINNAME before my
username, I am continuously prompted for username/password.

Is there a Samba reason for this, or is this related to Konqueror.  If
the latter, thanks for taking the time to read this and I'll pursue this
on a more relevant list.