[Samba] Incredibly slow Roaming Profiles

James Kreuziger jkreuzig at uci.edu
Tue Jul 8 21:36:57 GMT 2003

I'm having a similar problem.  I'm running Samba 2.2.8a
on Solaris 8, and Win2k and XP.  About 2 weeks ago, my
Roaming Profile started loading/unloading REALLY slow.
It had been taking 30-45 seconds to load, then all of a sudden
it started taking 2-5 minutes.  Yes, my profile was getting
large (100 Meg I think).  But it had never been a problem
before, even when it was larger than that.

I've gone through my profile, and dumped
probably 3/4's of what's in it.  I've really
tried to get the profile to a small state.  It is actually
smaller than when I started having these problems, and
it still takes 2+ minutes to load and unload my Roaming
Profile.  I have noticed that the NTUSER.DAT file is
around 2 Meg, and hasn't changed size even after
dumping stuff.

I know that it probably isn't a samba specific problem,
but I am looking for some tips on what I can do to reduce
the time loading/unloading profiles as it will be a
problem as people's profiles do get larger.

-Jim

Jim Kreuziger
jkreuzig at uci.edu