[Samba] Incredibly slow Roaming Profiles

Nathan Ehresman nehresma at css.tayloru.edu
Tue Jul 8 13:03:47 GMT 2003

On Mon, Jul 07, 2003 at 11:38:13AM -0400, Damian Gerow wrote:
> The profile itself is something like 800k, and this is all over a 100Mb
> LAN.  I can see via the SAMBA logs that the profile share is opened, the
> profile is loaded, and the profile share is closed in a matter of
> seconds, yet the XP machine continues to say, 'Loading your personal
> preferences...' (or whatever it says at logon).

We had this problem too in a lab setting.  The issue for us was large My
Documents, Application Data, and Desktop directories.  You said your
profile is 800k -- is that the NTUSER.DAT registry hive or does that
including all the folders that roam as well?  My guess is that the roaming
special folders are quite large.  If this is the case, let me know and I
can give you some pointers on some ways to speed things up.

Nathan

--
nre
:wq