[Samba] unable to join 2000 to samba domain

Mike Rambo mrambo at lsd.k12.mi.us
Thu Jan 30 14:05:38 GMT 2003

Nobody seemed to have any idea's why this was happening as I received
only one suggestion to be sure I was using root & root password to join
the domain (which I was doing). In any case it seems that changing the
computer name solves the problem. I don't know why - the PDC box is
freshly built and the workstations in question newly installed but if we
change the computer name to something other than our standard that has
fixed it. The computer names ARE unique too. We usually follow a formula
of

building_number-room_number-last_five_digits_serial_number

so a typical name would look like 39-107-kqr7j or some such thing. In
this case that formula seems not to work. Changing the names to contain
no or only one dash seems to help. Any ideas why?