[Samba] Samba LDAP user adding

Buchan Milne bgmilne at cae.co.za
Thu Jan 30 10:24:09 GMT 2003

> Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 15:36:57 -0600 (CST)
> From: "Gerald (Jerry) Carter" <jerry at samba.org>
> To: Jim Wharton <jwharton at acpafl.org>
> Cc: samba at lists.samba.org
> Subject: Re: [Samba] Samba LDAP user adding
> Message: 14

>>> I just installed samba 2.2.7 on Mandrake 9 with OpenLDAP support. I have set
>>> up OpenLDAP and everything is cool. When I try to add a user I get:

If you are using RPMs (such as from
http://ranger.dnsalias.com/mandrake/samba) Note that there is a path
setting in the default /etc/samba/smbldap_conf.pm that is incorrect,
mkntpwd is in /usr/sbin and not /usr/local/sbin

>>> [root at luna openldap]# smbpasswd -a jim
>>> New SMB password:
>>> Retype new SMB password:
>>> Failed to issue the StartTLS instruction: Connect error
>>> Failed to issue the StartTLS instruction: Connect error
>>> Failed to add entry for user jim.
>>> Failed to modify password entry for user jim
>>>
>>> so I jumped in to smb.conf and disabled ldap ssl = start tls. Then I got:
>

> ldap ssl default to "on" which implies LDAPS.  if you want clear text
> communication, you need to set "ldap ssl = off"

Preferred option would be to fix ssl or tls, which requires that you
generate an ssl cert with the hostname on it that matches the hostname
set in smb.conf (and /etc/ldap.conf if you want to tls/ssl for
pam_ldap/nss_ldap).

Jerry, you are aware that samba defaults to using port 636 for tls when
(AFIAK) it should be using port 389?

(hint if you want to use tls, you need to set:
ldap ssl = start_tls
ldap port = 389
)