[Samba] linux server completely hangs copying files with samba

Dragan Krnic dkrnic at lycos.com
Sat Jan 25 20:31:02 GMT 2003

>>I think it's the same problem I had and it's not the
>>network problem. It's about a problem with system on IDE
>>drives. After I switched to a SCSI disk for boot, swap and
>>root the problem disappeared completely.
>>
>>The fact that the problem doesn't occur with 10 Mbps
>>connections only shows that slow ether cannot create enough
>>stress for the problem to manifest itself. It's some
>>racing condition in UDMA driver. If you disable DMA on
>>your system IDE drive you won't have the problem but the
>>performance really sucks.
>
>Which IDE chipset? We ran our network on a machine runnning
>essentially 9.0 (cooker but with 2.4.19-16mdk kernel, and most
>server components and libraries haven't changed) on a 120GB
>IDE disk for a week with no problems, with dma enabled. So
>it might be chipset specific.

Good question! The chipset in my case was i845 from Intel.
I had it running for a month in a sandbox with only a couple
of clients, but when I eventually took it into production and
added 40 clients it would simply freeze from time to time
necessitating a cold start.

>Maybe if you two can log a bugzilla or Mandrakeexpert entry,
>and you may be able to try the kernel update that should be
>coming and see if it addresses the problem.

My distro is SuSE 8.1, but 2.4.19 is 2.4.19 is 2.4.19, right?
I'd never go back to IDE even if I knew the problem is
solved. At my home I can use anything, it doesn't matter.
But a file server may be privileged with a couple of decent
SCSI drives if you're serious. And besides, 15 Krpm LVD disks
are a lot faster than 7200 IDEs and I can string many more on
the same wire.