[Samba] Joining WinXp to Samba PDC

Roland Thompson roland at thompson.name
Fri Jan 24 19:03:01 GMT 2003

Ah, that’s done it.
The uid's didn't match.
All is working now.

Thanks

-----Original Message-----
From: jboeddeker at web.de [mailto:jboeddeker at web.de]
Sent: 23 January 2003 22:44
To: roland at thompson.name
Subject: Re: [Samba] Joining WinXp to Samba PDC

Looks like the same problem as i had a feww moments ago.

i tried to rejoin my domain, but received the same errors
as you did.

the problem was the machine account for my workstation.

1. check if the machine account exists (<clientname>$) as
   unix user.  -> /etc/passwd
2. check if the samba machine account exists.
   -> /etc/samba/smbpasswd
3. if both exist, check for the uid, should be the same.
4. check if another account exists, with the same id
   -> /etc/samba/smbpasswd
5. if yes, remove the duplicate id. (be sure not to remove
   a valid user!)
   -> /etc/samba/smbpasswd
   smbpasswd -x <duplicate>
6. try again.

7. if it doesn't work remove both (unix+samba) accounts and
   recreate them with the following script:

#!/bin/bash
#script creates an machine account
#the group "machines" must exist
adduser -g machines -s /bin/false -c "NT Machine Account" "$1\$"
smbpasswd -m -a "$1\$"

8. try again.

hope this helps,

Joachim.