[Samba] samba account question

ni samba at organicmeat.net
Thu Jan 23 07:37:01 GMT 2003

In our ldap, we have people who are in the following objectclasses

top
person
inetOrgPerson
posixAccount
shadowAccount
customObjectClass:

by doing a comparison of the exported .ldif files from a (test) person's
entry before and after using 'smbpasswd -a' on a machine that is
configured to make those changes back into the directory (instead of in
the smbpasswd file) i discover that

in addition to
objectclass:  sambaAccount

i also have the following attributes

rid:
displayName:
logonTime: 0
primaryGroupID: 1201
objectClass: sambaAccount
acctFlags: [UX         ]
logoffTime: 2147483647
kickoffTime: 2147483647
pwdLastSet: 1043292599
pwdCanChange: 0
pwdMustChange: 2147483647

I'm trying to build a php page that will promote a user to objectclass:
sambaAccount -- my question is:  Can I just populate those attributes
with the above default values?  DisplayName can be generated from cn or
gecos.   Do i need to use a specific algorithm for generating an rid?
 Or can I just pick from a range of available numbers?

    thank you very much in advance for your time,
        ~c