[Samba] Two MS Access questions (compact database & Access XP)

Sam Hart hart at physics.arizona.edu
Wed Jan 22 16:17:01 GMT 2003

We're in the process of replacing an ailing NT box with a Linux one
running Samba (Red Hat 7.3 w/ kernel 2.4.18-18.7.xsmp [from Red Hat] and
samba version 2.2.7, with a variety of Win2k boxes connecting to it) and I
have a couple of quick MS Access questions (in the hopes someone out there
has had any experience with these things):

1) We have one rather large (700MB+) Access database on the Samba server
which is only in use by one user (no filelocking issues). This user
regularily uses the 'Compact Database' option from within MS Access on the
client computer (Tools->Database Utilities->Compact Database). Since we
have switched to Samba, everytime the user chooses this option, it crashes
her machine (completely, as in the system suddenly reboots). I have been
able to duplicate this on my test machine as well. Has anyone else ever
seen this before? If so, anyone know how to fix it?

2) One of our offices (which has a rather extensive Access database used
by multiple people at the same time) will be needing to upgrade to Office
XP in Feb. or Mar. Does anyone know off-hand of any troubles running Samba
with Office XP (specifically Access XP) from Win2k boxes?

BTW, for those interested, here is appropriate sections from smb.conf for
the share in the first question:

[acsup]
        path = /export/acsup
        read only = No