[Samba] Samba-to-samba migration

Chris Nolan chris at itoperations.com.au
Wed Jan 22 11:40:01 GMT 2003

Hi all,

I have a Samba box (Mandrake 8.1, Samba 2.2.2). I have another hard disc
that has Mandrake 9.0 + Samba 2.2.7 on it. I am looking to install this
other hard disc into the Mandrake 8.1 box and migrate everything over.
Do I need to do anything other than copy the contents of /etc/samba
(smb.conf, secrets.tdb etc) over to the new hard disc to ensure that our
Windows 2000 Pro workstations are still members of the Samba-controlled
domain?

Additionally, does anyone have any experience in setting up an entirely
Samba-driven solution for fail-over? This place has two servers, and I
was hoping to be able to setup Samba on both so that if the main one
blows up/dies/gets stolen, everyone can still logon to the domain and
see all their files (everyone saves all their stuff to the Samba box via
drives mapped to their home directories and other places). All advice
gratefully received. All amusing flames cheefully printed and stuck on
the wall at the premises of subject.

Chris