VS: [Samba] Samba BDCs and machine trust account passwords

Mikko Kortelainen mkortela at cc.hut.fi
Tue Jan 21 09:34:01 GMT 2003

> IIRC the client should contact the PDC (domain<0x1b>).  But can you
> check the logs and see if the clients are trying to change it on
> domain<0x1c> (any DC)?  Thanks.

Can you give me any hints on how to find such information in the log files? My log level is 5, and I can find some password change messages in the logs, but I don't know how to check if they are looking for any domain controller or just the PDC when they wish to change their passwords...

Anyhow, I do find "Server Password Set Wksta:[XXX$]" type of messages in the log files of all of the servers, both the master and the slaves. So could this be indicating that the machines are actually communicating with the wrong server to change their passwords..? Can this be corrected with "security = server"? (Will it relay the password change to the server specified with "password server = ..."?)

--
Mikko Kortelainen
mikko.kortelainen at hut.fi