[Samba] Profile migration again

Owens, Bob bowens at navtech.com
Wed Jan 15 19:03:01 GMT 2003

Try...

WARNING: If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious
problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft
cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using Registry
Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.

To move the locally cached copy of the profile, you will need to know the
security identifier (SID) of the user whose profile you want to move. You
can identify the SID by using GetSID.exe from the Windows NT Server 4.0
Resource Kit.

Windows NT 4.0 stores the local profile information in the registry under
the following key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList

Under the ProfileList key, there will be subkeys named with the SIDs of the
users who have logged on to this computer. (To find the profile information
for the user whose locally cached profile you want to move, find the SID for
the user with the GetSID.exe utility.) Inside of the appropriate user's
subkey, you will see a string value named ProfileImagePath. ProfileImagePath
should be set to a local path where you want to store the profile.

If you do not have a roaming profile and you want to maintain your profile
after you change the locally cached profile path, copy the contents of your
old locally cached profile folder to the new location set in the
ProfileImagePath value.

Bob