[Samba] Does 3MB/sec seem as fast as Samba is?

Steve Centrone stevecentrone at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 15 15:25:01 GMT 2003

Hi All,

I've been experimenting with Samba 2.2.7a Debian 3.0
on a dual PIII 1000 SMP box, 1GB ram, and a fast RAID
5 array (150MB/sec write local). It seems that no
matter what options I set in smb.conf nor what
underlying filesystem I use (JFS, EXT3, XFS) I can
only get 3MB/sec MAX on writes out of samba from any
Windows client in my environment. Given that wire
speed for fast ethernet ought to be 11MB/sec (we see
this from UDP NFS on  write all the time-same box)
what's the problem? Does TCP/IP really eat more than
half of the performance? During all of this, SMB is
only using 5-7% CPU per write process max.

Suggestion sincerely appreciated!

Thanks,

Steve