[Samba] SMB+LDAP Question ...

Buchan Milne bgmilne at cae.co.za
Wed Jan 15 14:55:01 GMT 2003

> Message: 18
> Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2003 15:58:41 +0200
> From: "C.Lee Taylor" <leet at leenx.co.za>
> To: samba at lists.samba.org
> Subject: [Samba] SMB+LDAP Question ...
>
> Greetings ...
>
> 	I have a quick question, which I hope will get a straight and quick answer.
>
> 	I am moving my system from flat files to LDAP.  I have had my users in
> LDAP for a while, but then found that my computer accounts for Win2K in
> still in passwd. My question is, what are the bare minume LDAP attribs
> that I need for them to contiune to work?

AFAIK, just sambaAccount and related items.

> 	But I don't think I am going to get that answered, so, do I need a Unix
> password for computers?

No.

> 	I would just like to keep as little info my LDAP as possible .. I still
> believe the smallest amount of common info is best.

In the end, in 2.2.x and non-NUA sam backends in 3.0alpha, you need the
following to work on any DC:

$ getent passwd <machine>$

So, on your DCs, you either need a unix account for the machine in
/etc/passwd, or an LDAP account with posixAccount and sambaAccount

BTW, see examples/LDAP/import_smbpasswd.pl in the samba docs if you
hanen't yet. Should work for importing machine accounts.

Buchan