[Samba] nautilus problem and smbclient question

Steve Blackwell steve.blackwell at eer.com
Wed Jan 8 21:19:02 GMT 2003

Hi,

I'm having a problem getting smb to work through Nautilus and in trying to
diagnose the problem, I ended up with another problem with smbclient(1),
or more likely a misunderstanding on my part about how it is supposed to
work. I'm using the following packages on an up2date RH8.0 box.

# rpm -qa | grep samba
samba-common-2.2.7-2
samba-2.2.7-2
samba-client-2.2.7-2

# rpm -qa | grep nautilus
nautilus-2.0.6-6

When I type smb:/// into the location field in nautilus, I see 2 icons;
one is called Network Neighborhood and the other is the name of my
workgroup.

Next I double click on the workgroup icon and I can see all the computers
in the workgroup. The nautilus location field now says smb://<my workgroup
name>

Now I double click on a computer that has I share that I want to browse. I
can see the directories on that computer and one is the share that I am
interested in. There is also an icon called "Shares on <computer>" but
this has a "no read and no write" emblem. The nautilus location field now
says smb://<computer>.

Here's where my problem occurs. When I double click on the directory
called Shared that I want to browse, a login dialog pops up. I enter my
Windows user name and password but then I get a message that says "You do
not have the permissions necessary to view the contents of "Shared""

I know that I do have permission to view the contents of Shared so to
check it I entered this from the command line:

# smbclient //<computer>/Shared -U steveb%password
[Domain=<my domain>] OS=[Windows NT 4.0] Server=[NT LAN Manager 4.0]
smb: \> ls
... a directory listing.

So my first question is: Can anyone tell me how to debug my nautilus
problem?

I noticed in the smbclient man page that if you do not use the -U switch,
it looks at the environment variables $USER and then $LOGNAME both of
which are set to "steve" in my case. My windows username is different to
my Linux username and so I included the following line in the global
section of my smb.conf file:

username map = /etc/samba/smbusers

and this file includes the line

steve = steveb

but when I try this line, it fails

# smbclient //<computer>/Shared
session setup failed: NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE

By using Ethereal I found that the mapping of steve to steveb is not
happening.

My second question is how do I get smbclient to use the
/etc/samba/smbusers file?

If you've read this far, I'm already impressed and if you can help I will
be even more impressed.

Thanks,
Steve