[Samba] Usernames with dots

Chris Palmer chris.palmer at geneed.com
Tue Jan 7 19:48:01 GMT 2003

> From: daniel.jarboe at custserv.com [mailto:daniel.jarboe at custserv.com]
>
> Try 'chown chris.palmer: myfile' ... with the trailing ":", chown does
> not get fooled by the . in your username, and if no group follows then
> your default login group is used, and it will correctly use
> chris.palmer in its entirety for your username.

I'm sorry, I should have mentioned in my first message that I already tried that.

    # chown -R chris.palmer: chris.palmer/
    chown: `chris.palmer:': invalid user
    # getent passwd | grep chris.palmer
    GENEEDINC+chris.palmer:x:10010:10000:Chris Palmer:/home/chris.palmer:/bin/bash

--
Chris Palmer    Systems Programmer    GeneEd