[Samba] Usernames with dots

Chris Palmer chris.palmer at geneed.com
Tue Jan 7 19:13:01 GMT 2003

Now that I have winbind working, life is good. However, I've hit upon a
real kick in the pants.

As you can see from my email address, we have a convention here of
usernames being firstname.lastname. So, when I go to change the owner
ship of a file:

    $ chown chris.palmer myfile

Linux thinks I mean user chris, group palmer, and says "invalid group"
(there is no palmer group, obviously).

Now, I could just use the numeric UID in place of the textual username,
but using wbinfo I can't find out what winbind has set my UID to:

    # wbinfo -r chris.palmer
    Could not get groups for user chris.palmer
    # wbinfo -r MacUser
    Could not get groups for user MacUser

"wbinfo -u" and "wbinfo -g" do work, giving me a list of users and
groups. Also, I can discover my UID with getent:

    # getent passwd | grep chris
    #  GENEEDINC+chris.palmer:x:10010:10000:Chris Palmer:/home/chris.palmer:/bin/bash

And yes, "chown 10010 somefile" works.

So, two questions: Is there some way I can use text user/group names
instead of UIDs/GIDs; and, is something wrong with my system, indicated
by the bad output of "wbinfo -r"?

Thanks,
--
Chris Palmer   Systems Programmer   GeneEd