[Samba] Printer Driver Download Problem - PPD's Not DL'ing

Kurt Pfeifle kpfeifle at danka.de
Mon Jan 6 21:14:01 GMT 2003

Kurt Pfeifle wrote:
> Ben Brown wrote on Samba-Digest:
>
>> Message: 5
>> Date: Mon, 06 Jan 2003 12:27:22 -0500
>> From: Ben Brown <bbrown at regsrv.nw.uoguelph.ca>
>> To: samba at lists.samba.org
>> Subject: [Samba] Printer Driver Download Problem - PPD's Not DL'ing
>>
>> Hey All, just a quick question about printer upload/download stuff
>> that's been confusing the hell out of me for a couple days...
>>
>> This might be a Samba, or a CUPS problem, so i've posted this on both
>> newsgroups, but if anyone's had a similar problem I'd really
>> appreciate any help!
>>
>> I'm running Samba 2.2.7 and CUPS 1.1.17 on a RedHat 7.3 System..   I'm
>> trying to get the automatic printer driver downloads working by using
>> the CUPS 'cupsaddsmb' script which uses smbclient and rpcclient calls
>> to upload the drivers and set the drivers for the printer.
>> cupsaddsmb appears to function correctly, but when trying to download
>> the drivers on a Win9x machine, not all of the driver files download.
>>
>> the rpccommand:
>>
>> rpcclient localhost -N -U'root%j0inm3' -c 'adddriver "Windows 4.0"
>> "test1:ADOBEPS4.DRV:test1.PPD:NULL:ADOBEPS4.HLP:PSMON.DLL:RAW:ADOBEPS4.DRV:test1.PPD,ADOBEPS4.HLP,PSMON.DLL,ADFONTS.MFM,DEFPRTR2.PPD,ICONLIB.DLL"'
>>

> This looks like it is transfering too many items (1 too much, the
> ADOBEPS4.HLP
> is transfered twice) through the adddriver command.

Sorry -- this sentence above is wrong and misleading. The paragraphs
below clarifies the point more. (I don't know how this sentence made
it into the mail...)

> See "man rpcclient", section adddriver, where it should only be
>
>                    Long Printer Name:\
>                    Driver File Name:\
>                    Data File Name:\
>                    Config File Name:\
>                    Help File Name:\
>                    Language Monitor Name:\
>                    Default Data Type:\
>                    Comma Separated list of Files
>
> It works for me flawlessly, but then -- I have only the option to test
> on W32X86 architecture...
>
> Looking at your quote above from the verbose output of "cupsaddsmb", it
> looks like this is doing wrong:
>
>    "test1:         # Long Printer Name
>    ADOBEPS4.DRV:   # Driver File Name
>    test1.PPD:      # Data File Name
>    NULL:           # Config File Name
>    ADOBEPS4.HLP:   # Help File Mame
>    PSMON.DLL:      # Language Monitor Name
>    RAW:            # Default Data Type
>
>    ADOBEPS4.DRV:   # hmmm.... -- here the same name (it is the
>                    # "Driver File Name") appears a socond time!
>
>    test1.PPD,      # Comma Separated List of Files
>    ADOBEPS4.HLP,
>    PSMON.DLL,
>    ADFONTS.MFM,
>    DEFPRTR2.PPD,
>    ICONLIB.DLL"

The problem with the above list (which is what you quoted):

   * After the second appearance of "ADOBEPS4.DRV" there is a ":"
     as a delimiter -- it should realy be a "," (comma) and thusly
     make it a member of the "comma-separated list of files"...

So the correct output should be:

    "test1:ADOBEPS4.DRV:test1.PPD:NULL:ADOBEPS4.HLP:PSMON.DLL:RAW:ADOBEPS4.DRV,test1.PPD,ADOBEPS4.HLP,PSMON.DLL,ADFONTS.MFM,DEFPRTR2.PPD,ICONLIB.DLL"'

     "test1:         # Long Printer Name
     ADOBEPS4.DRV:   # Driver File Name
     test1.PPD:      # Data File Name
     NULL:           # Config File Name
     ADOBEPS4.HLP:   # Help File Mame
     PSMON.DLL:      # Language Monitor Name
     RAW:            # Default Data Type

     ADOBEPS4.DRV,   # Comma Separated List of Files
     test1.PPD,
     ADOBEPS4.HLP,
     PSMON.DLL,
     ADFONTS.MFM,