[Samba] users can't set smbpasswd, root can

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Mon Jan 6 17:46:00 GMT 2003

On Mon, 6 Jan 2003, Herb Lewis wrote:

> The entry you are showing is NOT for no password but for a disabled
> password.
>
> It should look like the following if there is no password
>
> test:207:NO PASSWORDXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX:NO
> PASSWORDXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX:

True, but the complaint appears valid as it is true a user can not in
2.2.7a change their own password. Try it, you will see. I just emailed JRA
with this exact problem.

My account has a valid password. Here is the sequence of events:

jht at frodo:~> smbpasswd jht
Old SMB password:
machine 127.0.0.1 rejected the password change: Error was : RAP86: The
specified password is invalid.
Failed to change password for jht

jht at frodo:~> smbpasswd -r frodo jht
Old SMB password:
machine frodo rejected the password change: Error was : RAP86: The
specified password is invalid.
Failed to change password for jht

The password change works fine if I do it as root.

- John T.