[Samba] "Only users" seems nonfunctional

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Sun Jan 5 16:58:00 GMT 2003

On Sun, 5 Jan 2003, Ben Tels wrote:

> L.S.,
>
> Excerpt from my smb.conf on Samba 2.2.5:
>
> [global]
> security = share
             ^^^^^
This means, so long as I have ANY users' password I get in!

If you want to log on only as a particular user you should use 'USER' mode
security.

> [BenD]
> public = no
> guest ok = no
> user = bzt

If you want to restrict access to only this user then instead of (or in
addition to - depending on what end result you want) add:

valid users = bzt

> only user = yes
> path = <...>
> writeable = yes
> browseable = yes
> printable = no

> Now, according to the manpage for smb.conf, I should only be able to log in
> and use service BenD as user bzt.

Not quite! See above.

> Nevertheless, I can log in as any user as long as I know the password.
> Even if I use smbclient and explicitly log in as a different user, the
> password is all I need to get in.

Correct! That is what you specified in smb.conf as what you want.

> Am I missing something?

See above suggestions.

- John T.
--