[Samba] Printing with CUPS & Samba...

Jim Carter jimc at math.ucla.edu
Thu Jan 2 04:12:01 GMT 2003

On Wed, 1 Jan 2003, Brad wrote:
> So this is on the client (Red Hat 8 box)? And do you have cups installed on
> the client? And have you made any changes to the cupsd.conf file on the
> client?

Yes, on the client both client.conf and cupsd.conf are unhacked.  While
they were given by my distro, it looks like they are just the ones that
come with the cups sources.

> And did you tell it where the printer was?

No, the broadcasts are sufficient.  Server broadcasts are on by default.
I can use the printer at work, suspend the laptop, resume at home, and
within 30 seconds it realizes that the work server and printer have
disappeared and the home server and printer have come to life.

> I read that the server broadcasts
> the printer availability, but it doesn't seem to work here.

If the clients are on a different subnet from the server, you have to do
some special stuff to either send unicast announcements to a list of
clients on the other nets, or have a cups server on a gateway machine
rebroadcast the real server's packets.

> For example, are
> you suggesting that I should be able to just start OpenOffice writer and send
> a print job to the "genetic printer" (default) and it will know that there is
> a CUPS server present and so send it to the server?

It works for me (using LyX, Opera, etc) -- if the app can do "lpr filename"
or "lp filename", the page will go to the printer which the server
designates as the default.

> Can you please post (or email) your cupsd.conf?

I'll mail it separately.

James F. Carter          Voice 310 825 2897    FAX 310 206 6673
UCLA-Mathnet;  6115 MSA; 405 Hilgard Ave.; Los Angeles, CA, USA 90095-1555
Email: jimc at math.ucla.edu  http://www.math.ucla.edu/~jimc (q.v. for PGP key)