[Samba] Win2k and Samba

Kurt Weiss input.maillists at kwnet.at
Tue Feb 25 07:42:18 GMT 2003

Al Bean schrieb:
> Hi Kurt,
>

> I set "socket options" to the default by removing it and I set case case
> sensitive = No.  But that did not help or change the log output.
>
> I also changed the NICs in both boxes just to see if that was the
> problem but that did not help.
>
> :(
>
> I'm wondering, can sombody tell me how long it should take to transfer a
> 10MB file from win2k (1.5GHz Pentium4, 100 BaseT NIC) to a Linux share
> (400MHz Pentium2, 100 BaseT Nic) where the two boxes are connected by a
> 100 BaseT switch?
>
> Also, (if possible) could sombody post thier smb.conf where they are
> using a Linux box as a simple file server in a Windows environment
> (where the linux box is NOT a PDC)?
> That would really help to see if I'm doing something wrong.

hi again.
u always can configure a smb to PDC, u do not have to use this features.
- if u access with w2k *without* joining the domain, it's functional at
all. - but i'll send u an example look down.

the speed, how a 10mb file is copied through a lan differs extremly with
hardware. - if u want to check your hardware/infrastructure, try following:

on linux/(unix):
ifconfig gives information about lost packets. e.g. 'ifconfig eth0'
if u want to stress the connection use:
'ping -fs 10000' - abort with 'Ctrl+C'
then u see, how many packets are lost.

if u have a stable connection, u should find something like this in your
output:
ifconfig:
=============================^^^^^^^^^=========^^^^^^^^^^^^
ping:
2670 packets transmitted, 2670 received, 0% loss, time 7096ms
========================================^^^^^^^^^^

can u check, if your network is running stable?

i found two little lines, i would ask, if u need them?
 >>>        remote announce = 192.168.0.255
 >>>        remote browse sync = 192.168.0.255
as i look into man smb.conf i don't think so (192.168.0 is your main
segment?)

now here's an (minimal) smb.conf 4 w2k, without joining a domain.

[global]
    server string = <your server comment>
    workgroup = <your workgroup>
    guest account = nobody
    keep alive = 30
    os level = 65
    security = users
# u can also use share without user,
#or domain if u have a PDC - butt refer HOWTO...
    encrypt passwords = yes # need 4 w2k - create user with smbpasswd...
    netbios name = <your servername>

#   printing = lprng
    printing = cups # depends on your printing system.
    printcap name = /etc/printcap
    load printers = yes
#   socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_SNDBUF=16348 SO_RCVBUF=16348
    map to guest = Bad User
    local master = yes
    wins support = no
    domain logons = no
    domain master = no

    #maybe this will help with different programm problems...
    dos filetime resolution = yes
    dos filetimes = yes

  [cdrom]
    comment = Linux CD-ROM