[Samba] [Fwd: Re: GCC 3.3 release criteria]

Dan Kegel dkegel at ixiacom.com
Tue Feb 25 01:32:00 GMT 2003

Martin Pool wrote:
 > Dan Kegel <dkegel at ixiacom.com> wrote
 >
 >>gcc is a great compiler, but as of gcc3.2.2, it can't
 >>compile Samba on Sparc with -O2.  This has been marked
 >>as a high priority bug in the gcc bug tracking system,
 >>and should be fixed before the next release.
 >>
 >>To make such regressions less likely in the future,
 >>it would be helpful if somebody were to look at
 >>http://gcc.gnu.org/testing/
 >>and submit a build-and-test guide for Samba to the maintainer
 >>of that page.  This would make it more likely the
 >>gcc volunteers will do regression testing of
 >>new releases of gcc against Samba.
 >

 > Thanks for suggesting this.
 >
 > One problem is that Samba does not have a very good automated test
 > suite yet.  It would be hard for somebody trying to test gcc to know
 > whether they had built a working Samba or not.  So they might catch
 > bugs which cause gcc to abort, but perhaps not code generation bugs.
 >
 > Perhaps you could try to summarize the Samba install instructions in
 > the format the gcc folks want, and then forward it to the
 > samba-technical list for review?

I could, and I'd love to, but I don't have time to, unfortunately.
I'm afraid my involvement in this has to be limited to
the suggestion :-(

There's probably some existing filesystem stress tests
out there that would do.  The fellow who reported the bug,
Paul Eggert, might have some suggestions.

Hope somebody has time to take this little chore on.  It'd
benefit both projects.
- Dan