[Samba] 1 Samba PDC and several Samba file servers/ Advice?

bkrusic at yahoo.com bkrusic at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 25 00:54:09 GMT 2003

Hi,

Just wanted to know if any one has done this and if
so, observations?

I'm doing it via Samba file server key args;

security = domain
pasword server = *

This method allows single password database to be
ref'd.

Now, I feel that for performance reasons (time for
each client to auth), that it may be better to have a
copy and use dist (or whatever) to sync the
smbpaswd/passwd files up to a master or PDC.

I say this cuz I see an awful lotta Samba process's
running on the PDC.  Its also a home dir server which
I am moving to another Samba file server so that my
PDC is a "pure" auth point only.

Your thoughts?

BTW, I still like NFS better.  But I am working "very"
hard to learn Samba as well as I knew NFS as my bias
may be for familiarity reasons.  This Samba stuff
seems a bi#@h if you want to config it for a special
purpose production envs.

Bri-
PS  The virtual server section of the docs sux.  I'll
figure it out but man why does this have to be so time consuming?