[Samba] Accesing shares from ClearCase

Eric Boehm boehm at nortelnetworks.com
Mon Feb 24 16:36:12 GMT 2003

On Mon, Feb 24, 2003 at 04:45:04PM +0100, Carlos Moro Garrido wrote:

    Carlos>     Hi all,

    Carlos>     Just a novice in this world of Samba.  I got a
    Carlos> question, probably too simple.  No problem to access share
    Carlos> file systems and mount ClearCase vobs. Log shows access
    Carlos> granted to NT userid belonging to the right UNIX group.

    Carlos>     Then, editing a file ( using a view thru Explorer),
    Carlos> log shows another non authenticate user called
    Carlos> clearcase_albd trying to be validated.  I guess due to
    Carlos> that, mvfs errors pop up

You would be better off asking this question on the CCIUG mailing list
(cciug at rational.com). However, this is a very common error with Samba
and ClearCase.

I'll assume that you are also getting a text_file_delta error message
about being unable to construct cleartext version.

If so, the problem is likely that the account running the ALBD service
on the PC (clearcase_albd) is not mapped to a valid UNIX user.

We usually map this account with /usr/local/samba/lib/username.map (or
wherever you have Samba installed) with an entry

<unix vob owner> = clearcase_albd

If your account is something other than clearcase_albd, you'll have to
change the entry accordingly.

Once you make this change, it is not necessary to stop and restart
Samba. New connections will pick up the mapping automatically.

If this doesn't solve your problem, we'll need more information about
the exact error messages -- and this problem would be more relevant on
the CCIUG mailing list than the Samba mailing list.

--
Eric M. Boehm                  /"\  ASCII Ribbon Campaign
boehm at nortelnetworks.com       \ /  No HTML or RTF in mail