[Samba] 2.2.7a breaks on ATM stack on AIX 4.3

Charles Bueche bueche at netnea.com
Fri Feb 21 14:13:57 GMT 2003

Hi all,

we have a very large customer (90'000 PCs) worldwide that has problems
with a Samba server. Here are the details :

platform : IBM 4-cpu server runing AIX 4.3
Samba    : 2.2.7a compiled with gcc 2.95.3
clients  : about 100-200, worldwide
network  : ATM, at least for the server (I don't have more details, sorry)
samba config : pretty straightforward, security=server (might be changed
to "domain" soon), a few shares, etc.

The problem appeared since clents migrated to Windows XP. About every 2
days, the network receive queue overflow, causing an ATM adapter interface
reset. All clients loose their connections (and their unsaved job BTW).

The symptom is visible with netstat -a :

Number of Rcv Buffer on ATM adapter 2207 <== Tendency to grow
Rcv Q size last entry               280  <== Tendency to grow
Number of connections to PDC        116
Number of samba procs (os)          118
Number of samba client sessions     159

We are more knowledgeable on Solaris and linux, AIX and ATM debugging is
somewhat unknown to us.

Could someone confirm this behavior ?
Would you direct our search to Samba or ATM ?
Has anyone experienced the same problem ?
Or even a fix...

in short : any hint welcome.

Thanks and best regards,
Charles