[Samba] password aging

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed Feb 19 23:12:03 GMT 2003

On Thu, 2003-02-20 at 07:11, joe.morin at dominiondiagnostics.com wrote:

> What are my options for implementing password aging using samba as my PDC ?
> I can set the users Linux password to expire, but it doesn't seem to
> propagate to their samba passwords.
> I absolutely need this functionality.  Is OpenLDAP the answer?

If you set 'obey pam restrictions = yes' and setup the correct PAM
configuration files, then Samba will also honer this.  You should also
set 'unix password sync = yes' and 'pam password change yes' so that the
password changes update the PAM backend too.

Or move to Samba 3.0 (currently alpha) and use the pdb_ldap backend to
store your passwords, which fully supports password expiry, based on our
own 'pwdMustChange' attribute.

Andrew Bartlett

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet at samba.org