[Samba] Help with Winbind

Khanh Tran khanh at slc.edu
Wed Feb 19 18:32:14 GMT 2003

I've been trying for weeks to get winbind working with RedHat Linux 8.0.
I've got everything setup per the winbind docs on
http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/Samba-HOWTO-Collection.html#WINBIND.

I've successfully joined my NT4 domain with smbpasswd -j DOMAIN -r PDC -U
Administrator.  Running wbinfo -u returns my domain user list, as well as
wbinfo -g returning my domain groups.  getent passwd returns the domain user
list in the passwd format, and getent group does the same.  I've then set up
my /etc/pam.d/login to match the one on the HOWTO.

The problem is that when I go to login (username: DOMAIN+user), the
workstation won't log me in.  My messages log returns only:

Feb 19 13:20:46 Martyr gdm(pam_unix)[835]: check pass; user unknown
Feb 19 13:20:46 Martyr gdm(pam_unix)[835]: authentication failure; logname=
uid=0 euid=0 tty=:0 ruser=gdm rhost=localhost
Feb 19 13:20:47 Martyr gdm-binary[835]: Couldn't authenticate user

Any help is greatly appreciated, and thanks in advance!

Khanh Tran
Network Operations
Sarah Lawrence College