[Samba] Re: problems with win 2k (Cristi S)

Robert Styma stymar at agcs.com
Fri Feb 14 14:01:02 GMT 2003

> Hi,
>
> I'm runnig a red hat 8 with a samba 2.2.5 and my client computer is =
> configured in our network with dhcp. But the problem is I can see my =
> computer from a NT4 system with sp6 and from a win 2k I can not see him. =
> I put in the smb.conf file encrypted passwords =3D yes.
>
> What else should I do?
>
> Thank you!
>
> Cristi S

Two things to try early on.
1.  Make sure you can ping the redhat machine from the W2K system.
    This way you know you have connectivity to the box.

2.  From start->run execute:
    \\nameOfRedhatsystem
    This will attempt to open an explorer window to the RH system.
    If this works, your problem is likely with the machines being in
    the same workgroup or some other WINS problem.  W2K machines can
    use WINS in addition to Active Directory, but I am not sure if it
    something you have to turn on.

    If it does not work, check the Samba logs to see if there are errors
    reported.

The HTML in the using_samba directory contains the book Using Samba which
I found to be very useful.  It has a section with a step by step to
track down this type of problem.  I happened to read the dead tree version
of the book first, but cd'ing into the directory and doing a grep makes finding
things pretty easy.

--
Robert E. Styma
Principal Engineer