[Samba] Some clients not connecting...

Robert A Wooldridge bob.wooldridge at edm-inc.com
Thu Feb 13 20:22:41 GMT 2003

I have a samba file share which is used by about 30 client machines.
The clients run mostly win 2000 with a couple win 9x.  My own machine is
a linux box which also connects as a client some times.

This week, some of the clients were unable to connect.  For several of
the win 2k machines, I could not ping the alias name of the samba share
but could ping the full name.  I defined the alias in the hosts file of
the win 2k machines and this fixed the problem on all of them except one
win 2k machine and one win 95 machine.  My own machine is also not able
to connect to the samba share and defining it in my /etc/hosts file did
not help.  When I try to connect using LinNeighborhood, I get this
error:

etSMBShare:smbclient -L serveralias -U% -W EDM -d3
added interface ip=10.10.10.79 bcast=10.10.255.255 nmask=255.255.0.0
Client started (version 2.999+3.0.alpha20-4 for Debian).
resolve_wins: Attempting wins lookup for name serveralias<0x20>
resolve_wins: using WINS server 10.10.1.11 and tag '*'
Negative name query response, rcode 0x03: The name requested does not
exist.
Connection to serveralias failed

Note: serveralias replaces the name of the samba share alias name

When I try "net view \\serveralias"  from the win 95 machine, the server
is not found but I can ping the server.

Any ideas on what's happening?

--
Bob Wooldridge