[Samba] !!ATTENTION NEWBIES!!

Chris de Vidal cdevidal at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 13 20:09:03 GMT 2003

I've been reading this list for a few weeks now and
I've given advice on questions that look challenging
but I've deleted MANY questions like these:

"How do I (easy question found in the documents)?"

Though I don't count myself an expert, I've known
enough experts to see that they _HATE_ it when you
don't invest some time before asking a question.  I
too have been guilty of it, but I understand when I'm
shot down or ignored.

READ the manpages (man smb.conf, smbclient, etc.),
/usr/share/doc/samba*, SEARCH the web (Google is your
friend), SEARCH this mailing list
(marc.theaimsgroup.com), READ the Samba website (I
spend alot of time in the Documentation page), SEARCH
your distro's website (e.g. RedHat.com has a GREAT
docs section with Samba stuff in it), or READ one of
the many fine books.  I learned a TON from "Teach
Yourself Samba in 24 Hours" but a possibly better
book, "Using Samba 2" from O'Reilly is out this month.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE do your homework before asking,
else your question will get ignored and you'll burn
out the experts, whose time is better spent improving
Samba than answering simple questions.

/dev/idal