[Samba] re Samba on IRIX

pr on ryders pr at ryders.com.au
Thu Feb 13 00:39:25 GMT 2003

Hello, Any one there ???

Is this the place to submit a Samba installation question ?  I'll put it in anyway and hope for the best.  Trying to decipher the Samba documentation on smb.conf etc. sends me to sleep.

I have just installed Samba 7a on IRIX 6.5....    Seems to work ok and I can get to the IRIS server from my NT network.  One problem however;

When I mount a network drive ( from NT box ) on the IRIX file system coinciding with a user account, eg. \\IRIS\r1 and giving the requested r1 user account password, I can then mount any part of the IRIX file system from \\root down, without needing to offer a password.   This is obviously not desirable.  What is desirable is to have various parts of the IRIX file system available only via a password protected mount. eg \\IRIS\fred, \\IRIS\max, or even \\IRIS\root. etc.

Can anybody suggest how to configure smb.conf to do this ?

Thanks
Paul Ryder   pr at ryders.com.au