[Samba] samba acl's

David.Grudek at anixter.com David.Grudek at anixter.com
Wed Feb 12 20:34:56 GMT 2003

I have been playing with samba for a short time.  I am not a programmer
but a I have some questions on if acls within samba are possible,
regardless of acl's in the file system or kernel.  In samba now, you can
have read list or write list and say this user and/or group has write
and/or this user and/or group has read only.  This is a scaled down
version of an acl.  What if they created a folder called acl's and had one
file called no access, one file called read, write, change, and full.  An
entry inside these files could look similar to:
 /data = @domain admin, john, steve
/data/accounting = @domain admin, @accounting, bob

if these entries were in the change file then samba would restrict him
accordingly.  I have been trying to get acl's to work and it has been
difficult to work.  I have been thinking that maybe samba could do this
for us without having to count on other pieces of software.  I am only
asking so please dont take this the wrong way.  If it is possible I would
like to help make it happen.  I am not sure how I can help because I am
not a programmer, but if there is anything I will be willing to pitch in.