[Samba] Joining PDC w/LDAP Question

Buchan Milne bgmilne at cae.co.za
Wed Feb 12 16:08:12 GMT 2003

Peak, John wrote:
> Buchan,
>
> I really appreciate the help as this has pointed me in the right
> direction.  The "getent passwd asa$" does not show anything unless I add
> the machine manually.  Should I be putting the following directive in my
> nsswitch.conf file to be able to perform host lookups from LDAP properly?:
>
> hosts:  files ldap dns

No, samba currently needs a user account for the machine (since it uses
the uid to generate an rid and ensure the rid's don't conflict, since we
assume the uid's don't).

So, you need at least:

passwd: files ldap

A common error is to set
nss_base_passwd  ou=People,<basedn>
in /etc/ldap.conf, and then have the machine accounts in something like
ou=Computers,<basedn>, where (if you have machines in seperate OUs) at
least on the DC you need to have something like:
nss_base_passwd  <basedn>?sub

(on non-DCs, you can leave it with ou=People, to prevent computers
showing on client machines, which is what we do).

> I've noticed that some people do this and some do not in their
> configurations.  I would think that after a Computer record is inserted
> in my LDAP directory by Samba that NSS needs this directive to actually
> lookup the computer.  When I try this it gives me a "Segmentation
> Fault".  Any additional thoughts or suggestions for me at this point?

It might be useful posting the ldap record for an example machine here
(sans lmpassword and ntpassword attributes of course ...) so we can see
if you have the correct object classes (sambaAccount and posixAccount IIRC).

Buchan