[Samba] Apple shares?

Brand, Thomas R. TRBrand at cvs.com
Mon Feb 10 19:28:12 GMT 2003

If using MacOS X, you can connect to a Samba share via:
   in the 'Finder', use Command-K ('Go' menu)
   in the dialog box which should come up, use:
	 smb://servername/
   and click 'Connect'

If using earlier versions of MacOS (7.x-9.x), you would need some
other product, either on the Mac or on the server.

For the Mac, there is a product call 'Dave' from Thursby Software Systems
 <http://www.thursby.com/products/dave.html>

Or, on the server you can use 'Netatalk' -- just like samba, but for
sharing Appletalk volumes. See <http://sourceforge.net/projects/netatalk/>
You can download the current version 1.6.0 at
<
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=8642&release_id=125246

I use both on my Linux server at home...
Biggest difference for me:
 -Max OS X + Samba support long (32+ char) file names
  MacOS 9 and Netatalk do not.

Email me off-line for more info