[Samba] spurious domian login problems

Urs Rau urs.rau at uk.om.org
Tue Feb 4 11:52:21 GMT 2003

We have a few win9x workstations, that have spurious login
problems. They get the message:

No domain server was available to validate your password you
may not be able to gain access to some network resources.

The passwords are definetly correct and the problem will
sometimes disappear after 5 - 10 retries, but almost always after
a full restart of the win9x PC, very occasionally it takes as many
as 5 reboots before it logs in to the domina again.

All I can find in the log.nmbd file around that time is
a "code = 0x0" returned instead of the usual 0x12 or 0x7. Does
this give anybody a clue as to what is going on. Or is looking at
log.nmbd a waste of time. I simply can't find an entry that would
be relevant in the log.smbd around that time.

I am running at loglevel 3 how high should I go to get more details
to help debug this problem?

successfull logins appear to have either code 0x12 or 0x7 and
only the failed logins appear to have code 0x0.

[2003/01/11 18:32:20, 1]
nmbd/nmbd_processlogon.c:process_logon_packet(70)
  process_logon_packet: Logon from 192.168.1.122: code = 0x12

[2003/01/11 17:22:21, 1]
nmbd/nmbd_processlogon.c:process_logon_packet(70)
  process_logon_packet: Logon from 192.168.1.26: code = 0x7

[2003/01/04 11:51:06, 1]
nmbd/nmbd_processlogon.c:process_logon_packet(70)
  process_logon_packet: Logon from 192.168.1.197: code = 0x0

Any help appreciated.

Urs RAU

Head of Information Services OM UK HeadQuarters