[Samba] Hashing for short pathnames

Holger Biber Holger.Biber at MLaP.de
Mon Feb 3 13:04:23 GMT 2003

Hi,

using samba 2.2.5-UL (on a SuSE-SLOX-System)  we have to mangle long pathnames
to short ones. We need this for some of our apps which generate batch-files
(*.bat) for compilation.
Normally this works correctly, exept for a directory named
"Only_for_generation". This directory is mangled into "Only_~%0" (it' s NULL
at the end). And this is the problem. In batch-files (*.bat) you shouldn't
use this, because it meens to call the batch itself (like $0 in
bash-scripts).

There must be a possibility to exclude "%" from the resulting hash values.
Perhaps other special characters, like "$§&..." could leed to faults too.

I've changed the hash mathod to "hash2":
     mangling method = hash2
but doesn't help.

For our special case if inserted a mangled map:
       mangled map = (Only_for_generation Only_~01)
but this is very special. Perhaps someone else would get a similar hash value
for one of his paths.

Thanks in advance for any hints how to avoid this or how to manage it.
Bye
Holger
    Dipl.-Math. Holger Biber

    MLaP - Universität Paderborn