[Samba] Mount at boot - and a bug - where to report?

Daniel Armbrust daniel.armbrust at charter.net
Sun Feb 2 05:34:44 GMT 2003

After doing a lot of searching in the archive, I discovered that someone
else had the same problem over a year ago.  Here are the workarounds
that he posted:

<paste>

For comparison/archive purposes, here's an /etc/fstab
entry which works as expected after boot but not
before:

//w2kbox/share	/mnt/thing	smbfs  guest,ro	0 0

I have come up with 2 workarounds for the problem
inspired by your response.

Workaround #1:
--------------
//w2kbox/share	/mnt/thing	smbfs
username=guest,guest,ro	0 0

Workaround#2:
-------------
//w2kbox/share	/mnt/thing	smbfs
username=guest,password=,ro	0 0

I noticed that it is a little inconsistent with regard
to tolerance of presence/absence quotes in the
argument list (actually it seems to accept anything
but username not quoted & password quoted), but that's
not a big deal.

</paste>

I tried workaround #1, and found it to work perfectly.  My mounts now
come up at boot time.

James, thanks for the pointer to autofs -> I'm still kind of a newbie...
I tend to learn things as I need them.  Can you (or someone else) give a
brief explanation as to why I would want to use autofs instead of
putting auto in the fstab?  Not because I'm challenging it, I just would
like to know.

Thanks,

Dan