[Samba] Re: Transfering Machine Accounts / MACHINE.SID

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Tue Dec 30 04:19:48 GMT 2003

On Mon, 2003-12-29 at 11:37, Sharp, Clint wrote:
> Quotes are required around the two ldap:// URIs AFAIK.  I've not used AS
> 3, but on 8 I've always built from Source RPM as I've also added ACL
> support (pretty easy with the Redhat kernels, and even though they say
> it's not stable, I've yet to have any problems with it).  I'd go grab
> Samba 3.0.1 source RPMs from the Samba website and build from there, or
> even upgrade to 3.0.1 from the Redhat RPMs on the Samba site, as those
> are known to have proper LDAP support included.
---
It's a bit vague (changelog's for various changes since 3.0.0) but
apparently they've fixed 'more' ldap group mappings
searches...undoubtedly good - does that mean that it would be safe to
have Computers in their own ou or even with 3.0.1 would they still have
to be in ou=People?

I haven't a clue where AS 3 fits in RH 8/9 scheme - me thinks more like
9. I have been reticent to add 'value' to the Red Hat offering but ended
up compiling Netatalk and Webmin from source since they aren't
supported. I am gonna have to think about this one...

Thanks,

Craig